Home >>Shipping From China >> What you need when shipping containers from China to Zambia
What you need when shipping containers from China to Zambia
In case you’re shipping a container for the first time shipping from China to Zambia, you might be unfamiliar with sea shipping protocols. One requires a reputable company to import the merchandise. It is important to contact an import agent from China that has adequate experience, capacity, and reputation to ensure a smooth and stress-free shipping process. However, identifying import services may not solely determine a successful shipping. Read through to determine the various requirements mandatory when shipping containers from China to Zambia.
- Bill of lading- This is a primary freight document used by the transportation company. It specifies the company contracted to ship the container, the company selling the goods to be exported, the consignee, the goods (volume and Incoterm). The document is delivered alongside the commercial invoice and the packing list to the buyer within two weeks after shipping.
- Commercial invoice- This is a document specifying the types of products, the details of the consignee and the order value. The customs broker or the forwarder uses this document to make customs clearance as well as calculate the import duties and other taxes akin to added taxes. The commercial invoice is delivered at the same time with the bill of lading.
- Packing List- This is a document that specifies the different types of products, the quantity and the volume of the goods. This document is vital and ought to be delivered together with the bill of lading.
- Certificate of origin- This is also known as Form A. It is a document that accounts for the source of raw materials or the goods. Certificate of origin is used to determine the import duty rate. Some countries enjoy preferential duties.
- Import licenses- Document is not necessarily required in all countries. However, when shipping containers to Zambia, it is advisable to have one.
What are the sea freight related costs?
When shipping containers shipping from China to Zambia, one incurs some fees. The various fees imposed are related to the selected incoterms. Hence, when shipping from China, budget for the following:
- Transport to the port of loading (included in the FOB)
- The sea freight charge (Included in the CIF)
- Export clearance (Included in the FOB)
- Insurance (Included in the CIF)
- Port fees (Included in the DAT)
- Custom clearance fee
- Transportation from the port of destination.
- Custom duties
- Other import taxes such as VAT
What are the various shipping frauds?
Unfortunately, there are some shipping related scams. There are fraudulent companies that load containers with junk materials or even a different type of goods ordered by the buyer. This is a common problem facing the shipping industry. However, one ought to verify the cargo before shipment. Sending a quality inspection agent can be of great help too.
In other instances, there can be the bill of lading scam. Remember the document is mandatory in accessing your cargo. Some unscrupulous import agents opt to withhold the bill of lading hence holding your goods ransom. It is also imperative to inquire about the actual cost of shipping from China to Zambia. Other fraudulent agents reap the benefit of overcharging for shipment.